Thursday, May 31, 2007

Happy Anniversary to me!

Here's the e-mail I sent out this year on my diabetes anniversary, which was in early April. I always feel good celebrating my anniversary, as it's one more year to be thankful for. I like to involve my friends and family in acknowledging my day. It helps to spread awareness too. Here's to many more years!

Dear friends and family,

Twenty(+x) years ago today I was diagnosed with diabetes.

Just about this time now, I was sitting in the hospital bed wondering what would become of me. My Mom had left to go home to get things, as we had rushed from the doctor's office to the hospital without a thought as to what I'd need, or how long they'd keep me there (8 days). I watched WKRP in Cincinnati, a show that I disliked, but I was too numb to change the channel. So I sat there in the almost darkness as the sun set, understanding the mechanics of diabetes (twice daily shots and no more cookies) but not the emotions that came along with it.

The calendar was cruel that year, in that Easter came almost immediately after I returned from the hospital. Instead of candy (real candy that is), the Easter Bunny (God bless him) brought me the fake stuff that can cause stomach problems. I also received a music box (that of all things plays Evita - Don't cry for me Argentina). It's now in
Lucian's room and he begs for it every afternoon before his nap. I may be the
only person who has (or even remembers) what they received twenty(+x) years ago
for Easter.

I didn't believe I'd live til my 30th birthday. I wondered just how this disease would eat me alive. I was told tales of blindness, kidney failure, amputations, etcetera, etcetera... It seemed that my life now was one of an old person. My grandparents were now younger than me. Looking back, I realize that the message of doom was given to scare young diabetics into compliance. I was also told that a cure was coming "within five
years" and it's now been four times that, and I still don't see my cure anywhere.

In 2000, I was reborn thanks to my insulin pump. Besides adjustable waist pants, Tivo, and Diet Coke, it's the best invention in my lifetime. My diabetes control has never been so good, easy, or flexible. I've gained about twenty pounds, because I no longer have guilt over things I choose to eat. And the freedom!! Eating what or whenever I want to. It's a dream come true for me every day.

One year pre-diabetes, the Easter Bunny brought my brother, sister, and me solid milk chocolate bunnies. They must have weighed about a pound each. I ate the entire thing on Easter Sunday, and broke out in hives the next day. While I have learned my lesson
(don't eat an entire solid chocolate bunny in one sitting), this Sunday I will
be sharing some of Lucian's candy from the Easter Bunny and marveling at my good
fortune of being able to participate in a holiday that at one time left me out
in the dark.

I'm off to go celebrate with a big Diet Coke. Maybe there's even some chocolate awaiting me... :-)

Stella

No comments: