Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Insulin: day one (maybe)

My Dad is at the doctor right now getting all of the information so that he can start taking insulin as soon as possible. (My parents seemed to think that he'd get the prescription today, and start his first shot tonight. I, however, think that he does not yet have all the red tape sorted through with his job. My Dad's job typically does not allow insulin takers in the position he is in, but a waiver is possible, which he does not currently have.)

Still, whatever the outcome of this morning's visit, he soon will start the never ending infinity of shots. It saddens me. I know how inconvenient, sometimes painful, dreadful, and frustrating it is. It also gives me promise, because my Dad's diabetes has been headed in this direction for awhile, so I'm relieved that he's finally taking a step that will benefit his health.

Mixed emotions. The story of my life.

I admit that it's also hard for me to watch. I know enough to know that even though at times it's easy, it's not at first, and there's always moments where diabetes throws you a curve ball. I know it's coming and I'm powerless to stop it from hitting him. Still though, I know that this is the best thing for his health, so I support it one hundred percent.

It's fitting that it's Halloween - a day of candy gluttony - that my Dad is taking this step away from his restrictive diet. I hope one day soon he is able to enjoy a bit of that candy. A little no-guilt chocolate can go a long way.

1 comment:

George said...

I hope it all works out for you Dad. He has a good resource in you and a good cheerleader!