Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Transitions

My Dad officially lost his job last week. He worked for the company for 27 years and was planning his retirement after he hit the 30 year mark. We feel incredibly blessed that he hit 25 years, the magic number where he qualified for the pension. When he was diagnosed with diabetes back in 1997, the goal was to make 25 years. I know that I've briefly mentioned it before, but my Dad worked a job where you can not be on insulin without a waiver from the state. It's a lengthy process, and even though it's not impossible, they do make you jump through so many hoops that you have to question yourself along the way.

We went and surprised my Dad on his last day. The company used to buy the retirees a cake on their final day, but due to my Dad's high seniority, the economic downturn and low employee moral, most of the employees were already gone by my Dad's last day. My Mom got a cake, and we went with Lucian, my sister and her fiance and brought him a little party. My Dad was so thrilled, he had tears in his eyes. He had just had a mental picture of how his leaving the company was going to be, and in the end, he got just that.

I think my Mom and I were more upset than my Dad. We were emotionally drained, as for 27 years, we had been loyal shoppers of the company also. My Dad though, came home from work on his final day, and hasn't looked back since. He is enjoying every moment of his "retirement". He's planning to work again, but is putting thought into what he's going to do next.

I'm so proud of the years he worked. He was a loyal, responsible, trustworthy employee. He loved his job. Not the politics, but the actual job. It was his passion. And although I am sad that an era is over for him, I'm taking the lead from him and getting excited about what's coming next.

It's been nice to have him home - I now have extra help with Lucian!

No comments: