Friday, May 05, 2006

Happy cinco de mayo

Last year, Nemo called me and said that he couldn't see Lucian that night because it was cinco de mayo.

I had come to expect Nemo's excuses, but cinco de mayo? It's laughable. Nemo is not Spanish nor of Latin descent, nor had he ever celebrated the holiday any other year.

It got me to thinking about all his excuses why he couldn't see Lucian. Here's a partial list:

1. He had to take his brother to work (brother has a DUI and lost his license)

2. He had to pick his grandmother up (grandmother denied this the following day)

3. There was bad traffic (he uses this excuse most often and it’s surprising how long it can take him just to drive a few miles)

4. He got into a fight with his dad, and needed to get out of town (has used this on several occasions)

5. He needed to have dinner with his dad

6. He’s going out of town at the last minute

7. He’s working late

8. He had a rehearsal dinner (and on this particular evening, he was still in the house during parenting time, but not exercising it)

9. He fell asleep (where?)

10. He had a meeting for a business, which had had no income since before Lucian was born

11. He has been sick at least once per month in the past year.

At this point, Lucian is too young to be disappointed. But I do worry that when he's old enough to understand, he'll take it personally. I realize that I can't control Nemo and his excuses. All I can do is love and support Lucian so that he knows he has me, who will always be there. On cinco de mayo and every day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stella -

I found your blog from Tertia's. It sounds like you've been through a hell of a lot lately - I hope things look up for you.

I'm also Type I (20 years and counting) and just starting the process of getting the pump!

-Art-Sweet

stella said...

Hi Art-Sweet,

Thanks for commenting. Strangely enough, I just discovered your blog also!

I've been on the pump almost 6 years and I love it. I'm currently using a Deltec Cozmo, and used a Minimed before it. Good luck with the pump - I hope it changes your life as much as it's changed mine.

If you ever want to talk about it, e-mail me - stellastern@gmail.com.

Stella