Friday, June 02, 2006

Phone bill

On the advice of my lawyer, I had lots of documents subpoenaed for the divorce settlement. Even though I live in a no-fault state, I wanted to have the evidence on my side. Also, it enabled me to find out key pieces of information that Nemo had been keeping from me.

So first, I requested his phone bill. His company paid for his cell phone, so the bills all went there and I never got to see them. What initially started as a good thing (us not having to pay the phone bill), helped Nemo in his affair. You know it was bad that the paperwork didn't just come in a mere envelope. Nope, it was a box. Approximately fifteen months worth of phone bills.

At the start of 2004, I recognized all the numbers. By March, there were a few unknowns (which I later found to be Elvira and friends). And then to the most recent month, April 2005, where I didn't recognize anything but my own number sporadically. The call number increased tenfold also.

I mentioned it here, that I had dry heaves when I saw the phone bill seeing how many times during Lucian's birth that he had been on the phone with Elvira. I spent hours combing through the phone bill, trying to make sense of it. I highlighted, underlined, and searched phone numbers on-line. Finally, I realized that with the sheer number of calls, there was no way that I'd be able to make any sense of it at all, so I mostly concentrated on memorable dates.

It ended up being a very expensive endeavor, all this subpoena-ing. It did help me to have things in writing though. Helped drill reality into my head by seeing it in black and white.

It's a bitter pill to swallow when you find out that not only does your husband have someone else, but that he carried it out in such a cruel way.

Ironically, right before the divorce was final, I had a conversation with Elvira who told me that she would love to have a look at the phone bills. She didn't trust him either. Gee I wonder why?

No comments: