Thursday, July 20, 2006

How I lost all respect for my father-in-law, part 2

Here comes the part of why I no longer have any respect for my father-in-law.

I moved out of our marital home and in with my parents in October. Lucian's 1st birthday was in November. I would have loved to have thrown a party (I love to entertain), but I really didn't want to feel obligated in inviting Nemo's whole family. Plus, I didn't have the money. So it was just my immediate family and my best friend with her daughter.

Nemo called the day before and asked if he could join us in whatever we were doing to celebrate Lucian's day. I invited him to join us, and also his parents. Cruella called on Lucian's birthday. She spoke with my mother, and my Mom invited her to come also. She declined. I thought it was sad that her pride was standing in her way of celebrating her grandson's birthday.

Nemo told me that his family planned a birthday dinner for another night. It happened to be a night that we had arranged that I would pick Lucian up at 7:00, rather than 8:00. I dropped him off early to compensate, and Nemo agreed to it.

I arrived that night with my father. There was an uneaten cake on the table, and unopened gifts. They had not even started their celebration when we arrived. Jabba asked if they could have five more minutes. I said okay, but that we had to pick my Mom up and couldn't stay. It was a rainy night and my Mom was waiting for us.

After five minutes, I went to get Lucian's coat. Jabba asked again for five more minutes and I said that I'd love to be able to stay, but if we didn't leave, my Mom would be waiting out in the cold for us. It was now 7:15 and I said to Nemo - we agreed on 7:00, right? He agreed with me. Then, he shut up and let everything else happen.

Jabba suddenly went from the calm man that I knew to someone out of control. He started screaming at me, saying that it wasn't fair and that his family wanted to have a birthday for Lucian too. At first, I just stood there. Then, I started getting into it with him.

My Dad is a quiet, loving, caring, understanding man. He is not a fighter. He's a peace maker. My Dad scooped up Lucian and said that we were leaving. I was so proud of him. He then said in a deep, authoritative voice to Jabba that his daughter was a good person and I didn't deserve to be treated the way he was treating me. It's now months later and I'm still so proud of him for standing up to Jabba. Both Jabba and Nemo are big bullies and I'd taken too much from that family already.

Jabba wasn't happy with my Dad's words though. He puffed up his chest like a peacock and went over to my Dad. He pushed himself into my Dad, who was still holding Lucian. I had to come over and physically push Jabba out of the way. My Dad then left the house with Lucian.

I, of course, wasn't as calm as my Dad. They had engaged me, and I was ready to fight. I argued with Jabba and Cruella for a bit longer, (by this time, Cruella had started screaming too) and then finally left. I was shaking when I got into the car.

I realized afterward that I should have called the police. (Just like I should have when Elvira showed up on my doorstep) This was an example of the assault part of assault and battery.

It was a week before I started sleeping well again at night. I became even more frightened of my ex-in-laws.

Did I mention that other family members were there? They were shocked by Jabba's behavior too. But not one of them said a word or tried to help me in any way. Even Nemo said quietly - dad, Stella and I did agree to 7:00.

Jabba didn't make eye contact with me for almost six months after this incident. Most times, he hides in another room when I arrive. Cruella is currently in Europe for the summer, which has forced him to be the one who answers the door now when we arrive. He is now saying hello to me.

I have lost all respect for this man. Not just because of the screaming and pushing my Dad. It's because he did it all in front of Lucian. That's the part that infuriates me the most. No child should have to be witness to something like that, especially when his mother is being berated.

Oddly enough, Jabba has gained some respect for me. Maybe because I didn't back down. Maybe because he knows that I have the power to tell his whole family of Nemo's sterility and Lucian's paternity. I don't know.

I can only hope that Lucian's next birthday is more peaceful.

No comments: