Friday, August 25, 2006

The new job that wasn't

A few weeks ago, Nemo let me know that he couldn't take advantage of his parenting time because he was going to an interview that was out of town. I get so excited that I don't really care what his excuse is, if we get a day to ourselves. But I always follow up on whatever the excuse du jour is. This has provided me with great entertainment because I know that his excuses are usually lies. And as time goes on and he's used up all the easy excuses (traffic, weather, etc) his lies have gotten more substantial.

When I followed up on his interview, he told me that the job was an hour away from my brother in the big city. He seemed to have quite a few details, so either it was the truth (always a possibility I guess) or he had given the lie some thought.

For awhile I got down on my knees and begged God for Nemo to get the job. I wished, I hoped, I bargained. I thought it would be a wonderful solution to the headache that is my parenting time problem.

As it turned out, Nemo got the job. But he decided not to take it. Apparently they were willing to pay good money (which obviously he needs) and moving costs. He told me that he didn't take it because he didn't want to leave Lucian. I may have bought that as an excuse if he was acting like a real father to Lucian. Lucian has never, ever been a priority for Nemo. Not once. So why now?

Maybe parts of story were true (the interview part? the location of the company?) but I still think it was a lie. What purpose it served, I'm not quite sure. He's big on talk and little on action, so maybe it was all to con me. Maybe he had the interview but didn't get the job. Maybe he got the job but decided not to take it because his dad offered him more money to support his drug habit. Maybe he couldn't leave his legion of ex-girlfriends and str*ippers.

All I know is that I am disappointed that he isn't leaving the state.

1 comment:

art-sweet said...

Bummer. Nemo sounds like he could use a good slapping!