Saturday, August 26, 2006

My future: (insert something here)

Yesterday I wrote about Nemo's job prospect. Today I'm writing about mine.

I don't want to work and I'm putting off finding a job. I'm not normally a lazy person (and I'm certainly not lounging around all day - I'm chasing a 21 month old) but I can't seem to find it in me to take the job search seriously.

I know that I need a job. Not only do I need more of an income than my child support provides, I need the health insurance. And I need good health insurance. Damn this diabetes of mine.

When I was in college, I knew all this. Even so, I was flighty when it came to what I wanted to do with my life. I was a good student in high school, but by the time I got to college, I was burned out. I started off being pre-med but after a semester I decided I didn't have it in me to pursue being a doctor. (Strangely enough, over the years, I have educated more doctors than they have educated me.)

I changed my major to business and pretty much floated my way through the rest of my college experience. I envisioned myself working a 9-5 type job that paid well, that would give me good health insurance, and nights and weekends off. What I didn't realize is that having a business degree does not equal obtaining a business job. (like generally how a teaching degree = teacher, a law degree = lawyer, a biophysicist degree = biophysicist, etc) After college, I had no idea what to do with myself. Even less of an idea than I did four years before.

I've had jobs in the meantime. Some more interesting, more demanding, more or less money (mostly less). But none of them have been a life calling. None of them opened me to other opportunities. None of them inspired me. In fact, they did the opposite. When I was laid off from my last job, I pretty much buried my head in the sand. I was on the baby quest too, but that was only part of it. I was afraid. Just as I am now.

Here I am over ten years out of college, with no goals. And call me depressed (because clinically, I am) but for the life of me, I don't even care. I have no idea what to do with my life. All I really want to do is be a 1950's housewife and stay home with my son. That's what inspires me. Nice goal, huh?

I haven't yet heard about that job I interviewed for. They're not making any decisions until next month. To be honest, I'm not all that excited about it, for the main reason that I fear I'd miss out on too much of Lucian's life because of the hours. And for the slightly smaller but still substantial reason that I really don't want to be a receptionist, even if it wasn't a permanent thing.

I have no idea where this leaves me. I'm pretty frustrated. And indifferent. And scared, unmotivated, depressed, anxious, and filled with dread. Pretty much the same feelings I've had for a long time now. Only now, I need to do something. Anything.

2 comments:

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Just float. Or at least try. Does that make sense?

Sometimes, letting go is the way to make things come to you.

Anonymous said...

Check out this website www.pursuethepassion.com It may just inspire you towards your passion. At the very least it has some interesting interviews.