Friday, September 29, 2006

The universe is trying to tell me something

Lucian's sick again. It's a nasty cold this time. He spent the first day of the funeral with my god-daughter, who also has a cold. The awake time wouldn't be so bad if he'd sleep well at nap and bedtime.

I can't remember if I mentioned it before, but tonight was supposed to be our first swimming class. I wanted to sign Lucian up but I'm a little afraid of the water myself, so I thought it would be perfect if Nemo could get in the water with him. Up until today, Nemo has sounded excited about it.

This morning, I decided that the swimming class was out for tonight. I was disappointed since it's the first class and all. But I wouldn't want someone bringing their sick kid to class. So I e-mailed Nemo and told him that we weren't going.

An hour later, he called me. He is sick too. He's got some infection that is resistant to antibiotics that shows itself with boils and pus. Nice. Just what I want my almost two year old exposed to. Even if Lucian weren't sick, he'd have backed out. (I got my bathing suit out a few days ago in anticipation that Nemo wouldn't be joining us - I just had this feeling.)

(Sidetrack: wondering what to do about Nemo's illness and how to keep Lucian away from him. Nemo's going back to the doctor, so maybe I shouldn't worry too much. But I probably will anyway. And Nemo said that his sores started yesterday, around the same time he was getting directions to the pool from me. Why didn't he mention anything then?)

Back to the first story. So then, an hour after Nemo's call, I received another phone call. The parks and rec dept was calling to say that the instructor is sick and we'll start next week.

Three separate reasons for not going to the swim class. That's enough of a sign for me.

No comments: