Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Lots of miscellaneous stuff

In no particular order, random happenings...

I think I've had more internet traffic find my blog by searching "cut my hair short" or "chopped hair" than anything else I've ever written. Maybe I need to change my tagline?

Nemo came over tonight, and dare I say, all things considered, it went well. We laughed about some things that happened in the past, and he also fixed one of Lucian's toys. I can not forget all the hideous things he's done, but I will say that I'm tolerating him better. That's as generous as I can be.

I took Lucian to see Santa this week. Last year, he had a meltdown sitting on Santa's lap (all three times!) This year, he sat patiently, and although he was acting more shy than usual, he smiled for the camera. He pronounces Santa as aah-kah and it cracks me up each time he says it.

I also took Lucian for his two year photos. He did wonderfully. I had many great photos to choose from. I also had a coupon (a really great coupon) so I was able to order more pictures and not feel guilty about the cost. When I took Lucian for his nine month photos, the photographer made me feel guilty, even when I explained that I was on a strict budget. Feeling horrible, I cried the whole way home in the car that day. Anxiety drugs + awesome coupon + preparation for the guilt + in charge of my own money instead of having a negative bank balance = a much better experience.

Lucian had his two year doctor appointment too. His height is 90th percentile, weight 50th and head size 25th. He's tall and skinny with a small head. What can I say? I'm short, not thin, and have a larger head. I'm so glad that his size seems to be similar to my father's, or perhaps his donor father. The doctor was also impressed with the number of words he's saying, and his understanding of shapes and colors. He's a sharp kid, but I work hard with him too. Having someone else (especially someone with an MD after her name) say great things about your child is the best that it gets.

I have a good deal of my Christmas shopping completed. I'm that person who always starts early (like September), but can't find the perfect gift until the last minute (my poor decision making skills at work). My brother and sister and I agreed to a $10 budget, and it was much easier than I thought it would be. I've bought mostly trains for Lucian, and a tricycle that he already found and tried to ride. I also bought a matching one for my God daughter. I feel less pathetic this Christmas - I'm sure alot of that is due to my wonderful anti-depressants.

Does anyone besides me think Tivo is a burden? I get so backed up with shows that I have to start deleting things that are least important so I can keep the more important ones. I really want to watch everything I tape - I have such good intentions, but not so many hours to be camped out in front of the tv.

I've been having a horrible time with my blood sugars. I can't seem to figure out why I'm having quite so many highs with no reason. I've increased my basals and boluses and it still doesn't seem to be working. I have a history of increasing my insulin and gaining weight from being hungry, so I'm more conservative than I should be because I'm scared of that viscious circle. I'm already heavier than I should be.

Speaking of which, my parents bought an ice cream machine and my Mom is now making homemade ice cream just because it's fun. I have too much of a sweet tooth to not take part in our family ritual of dessert.

I saw a friend and her husband argue this weekend, and it made me realize that there are some definite benefits to being single. Besides having the bed to myself or not having to share Tivo that is (that Tivo burden is mine alone!) I realized that right now I'm so glad that I only have to worry about myself and Lucian. And that one day Lucian will grow up. I often was a parent to my husband, and although I miss being part of a couple, I'm so glad that right now it's all about me and how I want to run things. I don't miss making lunches, insisting he take his medicine, picking up after him, reminding him that it's trash day, trying to make important decisions with no input from him, or watching what he wants on tv. I don't even have to consider his feelings at all.

Well I gotta go. Tivo is awaiting.

No comments: