Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Finances

I mentioned here that I subpoenaed Nemo's phone bills. One of the other documents I received was Nemo's credit card statements.

You're probably wondering why we hadn't been receiving them all along. Well, Nemo switched the statements to paperless so they came to his e-mail account. By the time I got hip to the cause, he had changed his passwords so I couldn't look at the statements. In addition, my name was not on that particular credit card, so I couldn't request the statements myself.

There were quite a few things that I didn't know about on the statements. I want to say that I was surprised by what I found. But really, I shouldn't have been.

Here's a partial list:
1. flowers (not for me)
2. hotel rooms (which I could never figure out because Elvira had her own place)
3. $500 watch (purchased two weeks after Lucian was born. Me, I was given nothing. This particular purchase is extremely upsetting to me.)
4. other jewelry store purchases
5. airline tickets (for him and another woman, not Elvira. He did not use them because the dates of the tickets, he was home, at least part of the time.)
6. bars and other adult clubs (where he'd spend hundreds of dollars a night)

There were also many (oh so many) cash advances, and other miscellaneous store purchases.

Besides these purchases being painful for me to stomach, all of these things, we couldn't really afford. One or two, maybe. He was out living the life while I was at home. Pregnant and living like a pauper. Because on top of all the credit card spending, we would receive bank overdraft notices. I'd go to the grocery store, and my debit card would be rejected (one time I was refused an $11 purchase).

One of the best things about being divorced is being in control of my finances. I will never again be humiliated by having my debit card rejected. All of my checks will clear. I will pay no more late fees or overdraft fees.

Nemo recently tried to pay a doctor bill of Lucian's. It bounced. Some things never change.

No comments: