Thursday, June 15, 2006

The proposal

Nemo and I dated for three years and were engaged for one year before we were married. We got engaged on my twenty-seventh birthday.

We planned a trip to Florida. (I planned it, he agreed with everything I suggested.) It was a wonderful vacation. One of my favorite times I've spent at Disney. We had very similar vacationing habits, and it was both stimulating and relaxing, just like I like a vacation to be.

On my birthday, we drove to Cape Canaveral. There was a shuttle take-off planned for that morning. The sky was clear, the air was warm, and we walked along the beach hand and hand first. The shuttle launched without a hitch. It was beautiful.

We went back to our hotel and he took a nap while I went and relaxed in the hot tub. Afterward, I came back to the room and Nemo handed me my present. He had been trying to get me to open it for days, but I'm a traditionalist. If you open gifts before your birthday, you feel let down on the actual day.

So I opened the box. I thought it was going to be a pair of earrings. He had bought me other jewelry in the past, and I'd been hoping for some earrings. I opened the box, and immediately slammed it shut when I saw that it was a diamond ring.

I asked him - what does this mean? And he then said - what do you think it means? We went round and round. I wanted him to get down on one knee and say the words. Finally, he did. He said sweet things about loving me and wanting to be with me always.

If only he had meant those words.

No comments: