Monday, July 03, 2006

A story that typified our relationship

While I was in Europe with my mother-in-law, Cruella, we spent some time shopping for household furniture and decorations, since the house was brand new and nearly empty. We have completely different tastes, so I mostly just watched while she picked out whatever she liked. She didn't really want my opinion anyway.

Until it came to the picture to go above Nemo's and my bed. She insisted that I pick it out. So we go to this store, that was like some kind of warehouse club for home decor. We go to the aisle with all the pictures, and she starts removing them from the shelves. This is how it went:

C: How about this one? (pointing to a picture of Jesus on the cross)

Me: That's fine, whatever you want.

C: No, I want you to pick out what you like.

Me: How about this one? (pointing to a picture with some flowers)

C: No, that won't work. How about this one? (pointing to a picture of Mary with Jesus)

Me: Well I like this one. (pointing to a landscape)

C: This one would be better. (pointing to a closeup of Jesus on the cross.)

Me: That's fine. Choose whatever you want.

C: No, I want you to choose whatever you want.

Me: I chose two that I liked but you said no.

C: I told you you could choose whatever you like. How about this one? (pointing to yet another picture of Jesus.)

I'll interrupt here to say that I'm a spiritual person. I was raised Catholic, and while there are many things about the church that I don't agree with (it's stance on abortion, IVF, gay marriage, women priests, priests being able to marry, etc), I'm not offended by Jesus or God or Mary in any way. I really just wanted something else hanging above my bed. It was supposed to be my choice, right?

So, to continue:

Me: Whatever you like is fine with me.

C: I'd like you to make the decision.

Me: I like the flower one.

C: How about this one? (pointing to yet another picture of Jesus.)

Me: So I can choose whatever I like as long as it's of Jesus?

C: No, get what you like.

Me: I liked the flower one.

C: You're supposed to have a picture of Jesus above your bed.

Me: Okay, how about this one? (pointing to the tackiest one of the bunch.)

C: Wonderful.

Here's the kicker: Cruella isn't religious or spiritual at all. She just wanted what she wanted. And wanted me to want what she wanted. Did you get all that?

On the day this happened, I wrote this exchange in an e-mail to Nemo. He cracked up and said - that's just like my mother. How do you deal with someone like this? I never could figure it out and that's why I usually went along with whatever she had to say. She was always right. No matter what.

My relationship with Nemo's family was doomed so long ago. At the time, I just thought it was funny. I might not be able to change the craziness, but at least I can recognize it.

No comments: