Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Why I started blogging

Kerri from Six Until Me. asked me - what inspired me to start blogging? I can't seem to get the question out of my head since. Why did I start?

The biggest reason that I started blogging was to get things off my chest. In addition to my therapist, psychiatrist, lawyer, friends and family, (and anyone else who would listen) I guess I needed another outlet. When I started telling my story to people, I started healing. Having everyone know has lifted the weight I was carrying around. I can't tell you what a different place I'm in today than I was in even three months ago when I started the blog.

Each time I write and post something, I'm releasing it to the universe. It's so cathartic. I'm writing for myself, but at the same time I know that others are reading it. And I'm glad.

The only thing I regret is that at this time I feel I have to remain (somewhat) anonymous. My name is unique, and if you were to google me, you'd find me on the first try. I'd hate for Nemo to find my blog at this point in time, so I have to be careful.

And that's what stopped me from starting a blog earlier. I'm afraid of Nemo's retaliation. I'm still physically threatened by him too. (although I promise, he's never laid a finger on me. Ever. But he does scare me.) By putting pieces of my heart and soul out there on the internet, I'm conquering a little bit of my paranoia also.

I would also love to post pictures, especially of Lucian. But I can't. Not right now. He's so darling and I'm such a proud mother. This blog isn't really about him anyway. It's about me. It's what I'd write in my journal, if I still had it.

My hope is that somehow my story can help or inspire someone. Whether it be to get on an insulin pump (which I highly recommend), to take the plunge and use a sperm donor (my kid is amazing), to stand up and not be treated the way I was, or to just be thankful that your life has quieter problems (I yearn for that day!)

In the meantime, thanks to anyone reading this. A bigger thanks if you've come back more than once, and if you've commented, a big hug from me to you. Your comments have meant the most to me. I'd continue to write even if no one was reading, but it means even more to know that you're taking time out of your busy life to care enough to take a glimpse at my mine.

Thank you. Really, thank you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really relate to your writing. I was in a bad relationship for a few years and breaking free of it was the most liberating experience!I am now married to a loving, caring man and life is so much sweeter than I could have imagined a few years ago.

I'll keep you in my prayers and I know you'll find peace and love.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to write and "de-lurk" myself and say that I've read almost every post. I've had to go back and read some of the old ones, but I'm keeping up with the new ones. I think you're an amazing writer, and you are very strong. Your son sounds adorable! My friend is actually thinking about naming her unborn son Lucien, which I had never heard before. It's great to know it's means something so nice.

I will try to comment more. I know how much I like comments.

stella said...

Kelsey,
Thanks for sharing your own happy ending with me. It gives me hope that one day I will find someone who actually deserves me.

Allison,
I love the name Lucian also. I had never heard of it either until I was searching for a name to use on my blog. When I look at my son, the name seems to fit him just as much as his given name. I've gotten so used to it, that I'm worried that one day I'll slip up and actually call him that!

Thanks to you both for commenting.
-Stella :-)

Anonymous said...

I have also found blogging to be cathartic, a 'release' of thoughts and feelings that bump around in my head and heart that just need a place to go.....

And thank you as well, your thoughts and kind words mean so much. It's just so comforting knowing that we can all be there for each other. x

Anonymous said...

Stella,

I agree that blogging is therapeutic in it's own way - and it makes you braver, too. Writing in a journal and squirreling it away under your bed (like the many volumes I have in storage) releases the thoughts from your mind, but there's something so bold about putting it all online for someone to stumble upon. "There. I dare you to find it." It doesn't matter if anyone ever does. Just posting it up makes you more and more fearless every day.

I'm glad you're out there.

Cheers to you. Every day, cheers to you.