Tuesday, August 08, 2006

But will I be able to blog at work?

Today was my interview. It went surprisingly well. I was a bit nervous beforehand, but once I got there, I was fine.

The job is in the legal profession. They are actually looking for a receptionist, which I'm way overqualified to do. However, right now, I'm looking for some no-brainer type of work. (not to say that being a receptionist is the easiest thing to do, just not the most challenging for me in the long run.) The cool thing is that at some point in the future, they are looking for someone who could do more on the legal side, so the job could grow with me as my brain begins to function again. Then, they would look for a new receptionist.

I really liked both of the men I interviewed with. One went to the same college I did, and earned the same degree, although he was a year ahead of me. They seemed to respect family time a lot too, and that makes a big difference to me.

Here are the positives:
1. good health insurance (which I desperately need)
2. close proximity to home, and even closer to Nemo's parents' house
3. flexibility (they are actually looking for someone to work until 6:00. I told them that due to my current parenting time schedule, I would need to leave by 5:00 MWF, and they said that they could work around that.)
4. my friend already works there and likes it
5. I wouldn't have to go out and look for something else
6. they know that I'm a divorced, single mother with diabetes and they were cool with that

Here are the negatives:
1. I'd have to answer the phone, and do lots of secretarial work, which is not really my dream job
2. I'd have to work until 6:00 on TTh, which would mean that theoretically Nemo would be spending more awake hours with Lucian during the workweek than me.

Obviously, the positives outweigh the negatives. Except that the one negative involves Lucian, and that makes me sad. I always thought that I'd be able to stay home with him until he went to school, so it's hard for me to accept that I won't be doing that.

I probably won't know for a couple of weeks yet. But I'll keep you posted.

No comments: