Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Moving in the direction of my future

I know that I need to get a job. I've been putting it off for a few reasons. The biggest one being that I want to spend as much time with Lucian as possible while he's young. For me, and for him.

Due to our parenting time schedule, one of my worries is that if I'm working, Lucian may be spending more weekday awake hours with Nemo than with me. (that is, if Nemo's consistent that particular week.)

But I'm realistic, if nothing else. I know that even with all the problems, drama, and pain that I've been through, I still have had a good thing going in that I haven't been forced back to work before I was ready. (alright, I admit, I'm still not entirely ready. But I've had a good, long time to get used to the idea.)

I've given my future a good deal of thought. Should I go back to school? Should I take a part time job, just to get myself out of the house? Will anyone hire me after being out of the workforce so long? Do I have any skills left?

Even though I've lacked it before, regarding my future I've had faith that something would come to me. Either I would wake up with a sudden direction to take, a passion for something, or a job.

Today a friend of mine called me and said there's an opening at her company. She's told them some of my situation (leaving out a lot of the dramatic bits, I'd assume) and they'd like to talk to me.

The job wouldn't be my dream job, but it sounds like it could escalate into more. I like the idea that I might be doing more menial tasks to start with and advance into other stuff later. The company also is very flexible with my friend's schedule - she's able to be with her kids when they need her. I love that, as Lucian is the first priority for me.

So I sent her my resume, and we'll see what happens. I'm nervous, anxious and apprehensive. But also a bit excited. It could be a perfect fit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best of luck, sounds like it could be a great opportunity.

Anonymous said...

Wishing you much luck for the job!