Tuesday, August 29, 2006

My response

After the e-mail from Nemo yesterday, and hours of deliberation including debating it from all angles with my Mom and sleeping on it (which always seems to give me a better perspective), I decided to e-mail Nemo back.

What I really wanted to do was yell and scream - #%*@ you!! I'm usually such a calm, rational, in control at all costs type of person. I've had way more than I can handle of him.

Nemo does whatever he wants, whatever suits him in the moment. He thinks about no one besides himself. Ever. So after treating me the way he did, he has no problem coming to me and continuously asking for more. Like he deserves more. Because he's so very sorry. And can't I just get over it?

I decided that the best way to handle Nemo is to yes yes him and blow him off like I don't really care about any of it. Like I'm too busy and didn't just spend the last 24 hours trying to decide what I should say, so my words aren't engraved in an e-mail for years to come and haunt me. I decided that one sentence would be best.

This is what I said:
Lucian can call you whatever you'd like him to call you.

To which he responded:

Thank you!!
Oh what a happy day it is when Nemo is happy. Ha. I won't be calling Nemo daddy for a long time to come, if ever. But he doesn't need to know that. I won't be referring to him as Lucian's father. In all the years I was married to Nemo, I never addressed either of his parents by any name. I asked Nemo to ask them what they wanted to be called, and he never would. So I figure I'll just continue doing with Nemo what I've already been doing with his parents.

For the moment, the drama has passed yet again. Tomorrow, who knows? I'm just trying to take one day at a time.

No comments: