Thursday, August 31, 2006

Sick again

Lucian is sick again. Or should I say sick still, since he had a cold last week?

Last night I dropped him off at Nemo's parents' house. On the way over, he was quietly reading his Thomas the tank engine brochure that he likes to study in the car. He was so quiet, I thought maybe he had fallen asleep. Usually he reads and points at things - car! bus! trees! When we dropped him off, he was fine.

My Mom and I went shopping. An hour into it (and before we got to eat dinner I might add), I received a call from Nemo saying that Lucian was screaming his head off. They couldn't get him to eat or stop crying. I said I'd be right there, and we went and picked him up.

We were able to get him to stop crying, but he wasn't himself. We ended up taking him to the after hours clinic at the hospital. We had an amazing doctor who was incredibly patient with Lucian. He told us that Lucian has hand, foot and mouth disease. (I thought it sounded like something that horses get so I looked it up and that's called hoof and mouth disease)

Although it sounds worse, it's just a virus and he should be back to normal in a few days.

I was very happy with the way that Nemo and his parents handled the problem. I'm glad they called and deferred everything to me. It was a good lesson for them too - normally they see only the best side of Lucian, when he's happy, clean, well, and rested.

It gives me a bit of hope for the future. What a strange package it came in.

No comments: