Friday, July 14, 2006

Boys

Before I had the ultrasound telling me otherwise, I thought I was having a girl. I never even considered the prospect of the baby being a boy.

Nemo has an uncle that believes he has a cosmic connection with God and he convinced me and everyone else three years before I was even pregnant that I would have a girl. I didn't doubt him because we were in Las Vegas with him once and he pointed to a slot machine and told me that I would win. And I did, $200. There were other things too that he would predict with accuracy. So I joined in on the "it's a girl!" bandwagon.

From an informal, unscientific poll I've done, it seems that most women can imagine themselves parenting a daughter, and most men parenting a son. (I know, I know, how brilliant of a concept is this?) Before diabetes when I thought I'd have a dozen kids, I figured I'd have a few of each. But when it came down to it, I could only see myself with a daughter. You know the one? The one you take shopping. The one who plays dressup up in your old clothes. The one who becomes your best friend when she's older. The one who walks down your staircase with her wedding dress on.

I had no idea what to expect with a son. It's all been new to me. And it's been better than I ever thought it could be. Lucian is not fragile, not a drama queen, he's all boy. He's interested in trucks, cars, planes and trains. Balloons, clocks, and books too.

Yesterday, my parents and I took Lucian to a park that has a train. It's a real steam locomotive from the 1800's. Lucian freaked out when he saw the train pull in. He was so excited. He normally doesn't sit still very long, but for the 30 minute ride, he didn't move a muscle. We bought him a toy train and a conductor's hat.

It was really one of the best days of my life, seeing Lucian so happy and being able to share it with him. As I sat there on the train, I realized that I never would be doing this if I'd had a girl. I realized that God has given me exactly what I've needed all along.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I am in the minority in wanting a little boy. I had two little bro's so I feel prepared for boys. I wouldn't know what to do with a girl. I am glad you have found the joy of your little man. Nothing like mommy's little boy.